This pasta is so incredible! Fresh basil, cherry tomatoes and mozzarella are the key ingredients but if you really want this dish to be extra amazing, make your own pasta sauce. I wish I could eat this pasta everyday but I think it would be safe to say that I would be as big as a house if I did.
The pasta sauce is my own recipe, but making it into the caprese dish is courtesy of how sweet it is.
Tomato pasta sauce
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 tbs oil
- 1 400g/14 oz tin of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1 garlic clove, diced (you can use more if you wish, I just prefer to have a hint of garlic, not base the whole dish on it)
- A pinch of sugar to neutralize the tomatoes acidity
- 1/2 tbs spaghetti pasta herb mix
- 500g/ 1lb penne
- 1/3 cup thickened (heavy) cream
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 115g/4 oz mozzarella, cubed
- 1 punnet/pint of cherry tomatoes, 3/4 whole, 1/4 cut in half
- 5-6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
Preheat the oven to 180′C/350′F. Boil pasta, following packet directions.
In a large saucepan sauté the onions and garlic in the oil. When it browns add the stock, tomatoes (with the juice) and the sugar. Stir and add the herbs. Let it simmer until reduced, about 5-10 minutes.
Stir in the cream and parmesan until combined. Once the pasta is cooked, drain and add to the pan. Stir and turn off the heat. Fold in the mozzarella, tomatoes and basil and set aside. Spray a baking dish or small baking dishes with some oil. Pour the pasta into the dish or dishes and top with some mozzarella and basil. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Serve with some fresh basil.